Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Stuffed peppers with rice and TVP


When I came across a bag of 50% of pepper at the grocery store I grabbed them. Jonathan suggested that I make stuffed peppers. I thought it was a great idea, this is what I came up with. I served them on a bed of lettuce with a tomato sauce on top. These were juicy so you could omit the sauce and just eat the greens.


Stuffed Peppers 

3 bell peppers- cut in half and de-seeded 
2 cups cooked basmati rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion-small diced
2 garlic cloves-minced
2 celery stalks- small diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 carrot- peeled and grated
1 green pepper-small diced
1 cup TVP- soaked and drained
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
sea salt
1/4 cup fresh parsley- chopped

3/4 cup water

You will need a 9x13 cake pan
Preheat oven to 375
In a saute pan heat oil add onion,garlic and celery- saute until soft. 3-4 minutes
Add spices and let absorb.
Next mix in carrot, green pepper and TVP. 
Continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
Season with vinegar and salt to taste.
In a large mixing bowl combine rice and TVP mixture stir in parsley.
Stuff peppers with mixture and place in pan.
Pour water carefully in the bottom of the pan.
Cover pan with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Serve with tomato sauce on a bed of lettuce!







7 comments:

  1. delicious recipe.want to try it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why have a cupboard full of cook books when I have easy access to my own personal Chef & a gazillion delicious recipes from a daughter who is an "amazing cook." I wanted to try making stuffed peppers. They were so fun to make and looked delightfully attractive. Not being vegan (sorry Kirst) I added some cheeze :). They were so delicious and came out of the oven intact. I'm going to buy more peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a random passer by. This looks delicious. Will have to try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried stuffed peppers without tomato sauce, this was amazing. Just had it for dinner tonight and the whole family enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh!!
    I just noticed the "Serve with tomato sauce on a bed of lettuce!" part
    I did neither and still enjoyed this dish very much, the flavours were wonderful. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete