Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dandelion greens, blackberries, green beans and toasted almonds with a blackberry vinaigrette


I was on a mission today, to do something with the dandelion greens I bought. I know that these are in season right now because I have dandelions all over my lawn:P When I tasted the leaf on its own... it was bitter and not super exciting, but add a few ingredients to them and you get deliciousness. I heated a little olive oil to slightly wilt the greens, to take away some of the bitterness. The serving bowl is a lovely way to showcase any meal www.annepryde.ca

For the salad:

Dandelion greens- I used half my bunch, rinsed
1 cup blackberries
15 green beans- blanched
1/4 cup sliced almonds- toasted
2 tbsp heated olive oil

For the vinaigrette:

1/2 cup blackberries
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1 tbsp organic cane sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp poppyseeds- slightly toasted
1/2 tsp sea salt

In a blender, add blackberries, vinegar, sugar. Blend
Add oil slowly to thickens. Add water to desired consistancy.
Pour in the poppy seeds, season with sea salt.
Taste. Adjust seasoning to your liking ( more sugar etc.)

In a large bowl combine dadelion greens with green beans. Pour heated olive oil over top. To wilt.
Place in a serving bowl, drizzle with vinaigrette, add berries, beans and almonds.

6 comments:

  1. That's one of the prettiest salads I've ever seen! I love the idea of combining berries and dandelion greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some sweet and delicious blackberries. What a wonderful salad idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting dandelion greens for some time! I wonder what vitamin my body is telling me I need. VItamin K? Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...trying it this week. Check out my dandelion post where I linked to your recipe. :)
    http://www.crookedmoonmama.com/2010/04/dandy-dandy-dandelions.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love dandelion greens but I'll be honest, I don't really know what to do with them! Sounds delish.
    Cheers,
    C

    ReplyDelete